Thursday, June 7, 2007

Screw Texas!


We do not like Texas, not one bit. We'd heard of the horror stories about driving across it and how dreadfully awful it is. We have been preparing ourselves for quite sometime for this long trek into no man's land. Not to mention, we did not feel very "Welcome" when we entered the state, b/c instead of the Welcome Center Information center with the promised free maps and brochures, we got a big sign that read RESTROOMS on a garage door!















It is SO hot here, that even in the AC it was squelching hot and we decided to where our bathing suits the whole way!



Also, people in Texas can NOT drive. They do not obey the speed limit, or the rules of the road. I was continually cut off yesterday at least 10 times and personally, I don't care much for that!~ Driving thru Houston was pretty scary (pretty, but scary)-- reminded me of going to LA, New York, Chicago? (any of those big cities) and I just had to be overly cautious b.c. of the maniacs.

Naturally, we get onto a country highway (or byway or whatever-- I don't really know what this would qualify for) and we overheat!!! At least we pulled into a well lit area, even though the gas stations were closed! We get out of the car and there is smoke billowing from the hood (kinda like it was on fire, but not).

We realize at once that this is no good.

We call FaithFetzer's dad and he pretty much says we are stuck there for the night!! I don't know where we would sleep whether it be behind the sketchy Shell gas station or the dirty "We Got Fireworks" sign!

Meanwhile we see a car pulling over-- I told FaithFetzer she needed to get the make, model, and license plate # and txt it to someone b.c. this was our killer coming to get us.

Thank God he was not a killer. (Don't worry I have my knife ready to defend us!) He was a very nice man who was on the way to see his wife in the hospital who also used to be a mechanic! Well, he confirmed that we were going nowhere and that it was probably the coolant which had run out!

So we call AAA and have the nearest wrecker come to get the car. I call my dear friend Matt in Austin and he drives the 70 miles to come pick us up!! (What a nice one) During the interim from when the nice ex-mechanic man stopped to help us and the simultaneous arrival of the wrecker and Matt-- we sat in our locked car peering through the windows for our killer!

He did not come, thank goodness.

We also laughed that only insanity occurs when we are together, not to mention traveling together. It also does not help that we both have bad car luck- so why did we come on this trek together? Don't ask me, we must be crazy!

We will figure out today what is going on with the car. I simply had to say goodbye to the possibility of seeing the Alamo-which was today's proposed main event. (who knows, if we are stuck here, thats all we may get to see! ugh, I hope not)

The moral of the story is to travel with a mechanic everywhere you go and if you are going to breakdown:
1. Always have some sort of weapon to defend yourself against the lunatics
2. Do it relatively close-by to a friend's house instead of out in the middle of the desert, and
3. Have the AAA PLUS membership (not basic, like we do) b.c. then you get more without having to pay for all the emergency roadside care entitles!



Hopefully the rest of Texas won't be so bad... if we get to see it!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aimee!! You are such a Wild Woman!! I hope you are having a blast. I'm totally jealous...GET IT BUDDY! You should stop through my new home town (Beaufort S.C.)and say HI! haha! Be safe...watch out for the loonies!